The RSC War Memorial Lodge was built in 1953 after six years of planning, fundraising and construction.

Our largest building, it sleeps 67 in bunkrooms on two levels and there are separate rooms for a live-in cook and Swiss instructor.

Sited on Hut Flat just 40 metres from the top of the first chairlift, the Lodge has a prime site offering ski-in, ski-out for most of the winter season.

The paid cook is in residence from the start of the season until Whakapapa closes, normally in October, while a Swiss instructor has stayed with us almost every year since 1960.

The Lodge is a favourite with our younger members especially. The large lounge / dining area provides a perfect space for a wide range of activities. Bad weather often sees group activities organised for young and old during the school holidays.

The Lodge also forms the base for Club, Interclub and Open ski and snowboard races as well as the Haensli Cup, and plays host to prize-givings afterwards.

All members in residence are rostered on to do a daily chore, before 8.30am or after 4.30pm, usually taking half an hour.

The Lodge at 1750m above sea level is a memorial to the 26 RSC members who died in World War 2. It is remarkable that such a large building was erected without the aid of chairlifts, helicopters or power tools.

Materials were mainly delivered from road-end by a home-made flying fox or by tractor. However, Ed Hillary as a young Club member once carried two bags of cement on his back from road-end.